Wednesday 27 October 2010

Planned obsolescence

UPDATE - It turns out that I can rename my blog so I have changed it from 'This is England 2010' to 'This is England', being as how it is 2011 and I'm still finding things to say...
---
I just responded to someone else's blog for the first time in my life, but had to keep on trimming my words down as I exceeded the word limit for comments. I've taken that as a clue that I should start a blog of my own rather than creating one in other people's comments boxes. So if you are reading this piffle, blame Kathryn Daley who has written very intelligently (i.e. I agree with her) about guys, girls and friendship.

As soon as I chose it, I realised that putting the year in the name of your blog is probably rather dumb. On the other hand, I am in England, it's 2010 and after finishing watching Shane Meadows' devastatingly gruelling but outrageously good four part TV serialisation This is England 86 yesterday evening, a tribute seems appropriate. 

So beyond being a tribute to Meadow's extraordinary ability to portray English working class culture, I'll pretend this is planned obsolescence and that this blog is just a test to enable me to learn about the practicalities of blogging here. 

And if I'm still writing this blog in England 2058. Well, frankly, I'll be surprised as I'll be a 100 years old, which will make me a centenarian, unless I can get a hat like this...


...which would make me a centenarian centurion and the envy of every pensioner in the queue at Eccles' Post Office.

4 comments:

  1. wow, waxing lyrical on teh interweb. I am mucho impressio (I am speaking web latin out of respect for your feathered helmet dude)

    what are your thoughts on narcissism?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Narcissism? I detest it in others Cliff. I am just relieved that the combination of my upbringing, genetic heritage and my resulting innate superiority means I am immune to it...

    Previously, I have kept a diary for the first few days of every year that someone was thoughtful enough to give me a diary for Xmas. I give this blogging lark about the same chance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! I'm happy to take the blame. Agreed that the year in the title may, er, date rather quickly!

    ReplyDelete